2001-10-17 13:39:48 (UTC)


My mother-in-law phoned me this morning, obviously in tears.
I was afraid of what she had to tell me and it was bad, but
not as bad as I'd feared. Their cat, Domino, who was 18
years old, died this morning. Apparently he had become
quite ill on Monday and the vet felt the best thing to do
was put her down. And that's what they did. My
father-in-law wasn't quite ready to bury her yet. He
decided he needed some time alone and went off to do some
little chores and errands. They will bury her under a tree
in their backyard, where they've buried other beloved pets.

My mother-in-law just wanted to talk about Domino, what had
happened and the funny things she'd done through the years
so I just let her talk on. I think she felt better at the
end of the call. I hope so. She did tell me that they would
be getting another cat, but not just yet. There will be a
deep gap in their lives, she said, with the absence of
Dommino. Indeed. My father-in-law is 81 and my
mother-in-law is 75.
I had to fill out a packet of health insurance papers today.
Actually, I only had to fill out three sheets as the rest
were informational or relating to insurance we didn't have.
It took a phone call, some sorting, looking up information
on the Internet (the addresses and phone numbers of the
Registrar's Offices at Johns Hopkins and Oregon State so
that Jack and Owen can be included in our insurance), an
email to Jack to determine how many credits he was
registered for (16), and getting John to sign in the
appropriate spots, but that's done. Thank goodness!
I've been able to get quite a bit of quilting done on the
Leap! quilt this afternoon as we are having left-overs for
dinner and there are cookies and a pumpkin pie for dessert
so I'm off cooking detail today. What a nice change!
The weather has turned decidedly cooler this afternoon. The
sky is grey and the wind is quite chilly. A few more of the
leaves of the snowball tree have turned color, but only a
few more. I ran into our neighbor, Eldon, at the post office
yesterday. He is a middle aged man who lives alone and does
repair and handyman type work on other people's houses.
There is no fence between his house and ours so I have the
pleasure of seeing his grapevines and trees from my kitchen
window. He told me he was going to be gone for six weeks
and asked if I would please keep an eye on his yard and
house for him while he was gone. I told him I'd be happy
to. He had some problems with boys in his yard this summer
throwing apples from his trees around and making
a big mess. He also told me his grapes were loaded and we
were welcome to take as many as we liked. I told John that
there was more than enough to make a small batch of wine if
he wished.