I'm a girl, not a band!!!
2002-08-02 08:08:57 (UTC)

Philipino guerillas?

Well, here's an update. Just as I had finished the
previous entry, and was half way through drinking myself
into oblivion, the doorbell rang. Okay, now, having my
doorbell rung at 12:30am is very strange. I answer it, and
it's my next door neighbor. Her name is Debbie. Just a
little background info on Debbie: her parents told her
that she had to leave Philadelphia and come move in with
them to take care of them. So, she lives next door with
her parents who are 83 and 84. Debbie is probably in her
early 40s.

Her parents are very frail and sick. They are Philipino.
Now, before there are upset feelings about my mentioning
their heritage, you need to know that it's crucial to the
story I'm about to tell you.

SO--Debbie was at my door telling me that she was taking
her father to the hospital (I'll spare you the reason, but
it's very serious) and was wondering if I'd stay with her
mom while they were at the hospital. Of course I said yes,
and put on my shoes and walked next door.

Debbie's mom answered the door, and was suprised to see me
and asked if Debbie had stopped by. I said yes. So,
basically I was there to keep her company and so on. Well,
her mom (and dad for that matter) have lived incredible
lives. During WWII, the Japanese had a warrent out for
Debbie's mom because she was a pharmacist who was giving
free medication to other Philipinos who were sick, but
doing it under the counter because everything was rationed
and so on.

The Japanese had sentries all over the country with lists
of names of wanted "criminals". Armed soldiers surrounded
her house, and she crawled out a window to the mountains
to join the guerillas. They lived off the land, literally.
Apparently, at that time, to be a pharmacist, you also had
to take biology and botany in college so you could
recognize certain plants that had healing properties. She
cleaned wounds in the mountains, treated sicknesses, and
various other maladies. This is where she first met her
husband, lost in the mountains.

Eventually she was able to go back home after a family
friend told the soldiers that she was in Manila. But she
was on the run until the Japanese left the country. She
was 16 at the time.......

I had my ear talked off from 12:30 until about 10 mins ago
when I got home. It is now 4:06am EST.

Makes me realize how insignificant my problems are in the
greater scheme of things.

I am humbled.