To bottom ↓
To top ↑
RSS subscribe tip jar

Ad 0:
yX Media - Monetize your website traffic with us

2016-01-25 00:32:02 (UTC)

Ron Price's Health: 21/1/'16 to 31/1/'16.

It has now been 5 months since an initial diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. I have been in the GT hospital for 11 days, the above period. I started coming home for 8 hours a day on 25/1/'16. It is difficult to describe all the details of this time in the hospital. But I will:(a) summarize my drugs which, in overview, are aimed at making me comfortable and in the main removing nausea.Readers can google these drugs for more information:

1. effexor and quetiapine for BPD:anti-depressant and anti-psychotic.
2. maxilon for neausea
3. temazepan for sleeping
4. nexium for anti-acid
5. haloperidol for BPD-anti-psychotic
6. ondanzetron for nausea
7. oxazepam for anxiety and nausea
8. morphine for pain
9. panadol for pain relief

(b) The name of the game in the hospital has been to reduce nausea and this has been partially successful. At home that is still the name of the game. (c) the presence of nausea prevents much eating and the consequence of this is less energy. I will return to the hospital this evening, 31/1/'16, for the night and return home on 1/2/'16. I am always happy to be home, but for more time at home I am looking forward to the precondition of little or, at least,less nausea. that is still a battle---daily.

This post covers the period to the end of January. The next post is for the February period.

On the first day I went home for a few hours(25/1/'16), my wife and I had a visit from a Lisa Towns, a Palliative Care Nurse with the Tasmanian Community Nursing in the Dept of Health and Community Services. We have also had visits from three community nurses in the last few months. Their roles are too complex to enumerate here in a simple fashion. Suffice it to say I am immersed in a system of health care and hope to record the main activities and services I experience
as the months go on. It was Lisa's second visit in 5 months.

Chris and I had at interview with my GP on 28/1 and, among the many subjects to be discussed were: (a) a super-cubic catheter as save me having to get up several times a night to urinate and lose, in the process, a good light's sleep, and (b) other anti-nausea drugs. My GP called a Dr Woods, a Palliative Care doctor, to discuss another medication since the present regime does not seem to be doing the job. On Monday 1 February it will be sent to GT hospital from the LGH. For the first time in days I am now at home and have no nausea--what a relief! My hope is for the nausea to be totally removed, but some say this is a vain hope. January 31 after 3 pm nausea dissipated for a few hours.