- April 2010
- 21 - Introduction To Volumes ...
- June 2010
- 20 - BLOODY SUNDAY: A ...
- July 2010
- 14 - Some Reading During ...
- 19 - Introduction to My ...
- August 2010
- 18 - House of Sand
- December 2010
- 16 - David Puttnam
- 16 - Hegemony
- February 2011
- 14 - SEARCH FOR MEANING
- 14 - MIA FARROW AND THE ...
- August 2011
- 15 - ALFRED KAZIN: Some ...
- November 2011
- 14 - SECRET DIARIES: MORE ...
- December 2011
- 02 - Annual Email for ...
- January 2012
- 12 - THE DIARIES OF ANNE ...
- 20 - Snippets
- May 2012
- 20 - FUNNIES UPLIFTINGS ...
- 20 - JULIAN, VIDAL AND ME
- 20 - LOVE AND LUST AND ...
- 20 - SUSAN SARANDON AND ME
- 20 - Mr JONES and ME
- 20 - THE UNIVERSE: And then ...
- July 2012
- 06 - Samuel Pepys and Me: A ...
- November 2012
- 03 - PAINTED WITH WORDS: Who ...
- 03 - SOME LIKE IT HOT
- 03 - THE LANGUAGE OF THERE
- 03 - JACKIE: I HARDLY KNEW ...
- 03 - MAKING SENSE OF OUR ...
- 03 - ROBERT HUGHES: GOING ...
- 03 - HERMANN HESSE and ME
- 03 - THE OLD TESTAMENT and ME
- 03 - BREAKING POINTS AND ...
- December 2012
- 29 - An EBOOK READER and a ...
- 29 - Annual Email for ...
- 31 - Annual Email for ...
- January 2013
- 27 - SOME FACTS OF HISTORY: ...
- 27 - One of Twenty-Six ...
- 27 - THANKS AND ...
- 27 - Reflections on a ...
- 27 - OCCASIONS OF GRACE: An ...
- 27 - MIGRANTS: Letter Writing
- 27 - A Gift to the National ...
- 27 - CLIVE JAMES AND ME
- 27 - The Telephone and the ...
- March 2013
- 28 - SHAKESPEARE UNCOVERED
- May 2013
- 28 - IBSEN: His Assumptions ...
- November 2013
- 25 - TAKING BUSES OVER FOUR ...
- December 2013
- 20 - Annual Email for ...
- February 2014
- 18 - Some Thoughts on ...
- April 2014
- 20 - SOLITUDE: And The ...
- June 2014
- 20 - SHAKESPEARE: SOME ...
- August 2014
- 20 - Stuart Hall: Some ...
- October 2014
- 09 - Monty Python: A ...
- December 2014
- 08 - Annual Letter for ...
- 14 - Introduction To Volumes ...
- 18 - Ron Price's Annual ...
- August 2015
- 16 - Frank Kermode: ...
- September 2015
- 20 - Ron Price's Present ...
- December 2015
- 10 - Ron Price's Health: ...
- January 2016
- 25 - Ron Price's Health: ...
- 31 - Ron Price's Health: ...
- February 2016
- 25 - Ron's Health: ...
- 27 - My Family: ...
- March 2016
- 28 - Ron's Health: ...
- April 2016
- 05 - Ron's Health Today
- May 2016
- 13 - Ron's passing
House of SandHOUSE OF SAND AND FOG
Things Coming Together?
By midnight my day of reading and writing, editing and
internet publishing as well as what I have come to call my
independent scholarship has come to an end. Domestic tasks
and community involvements of various kinds have also ended.
Whatever social activity and interaction with my wife in
our empty nest and with others outside that nest that day
have also ended. My computer goes off at mid-night for it
is pre-set to shu t itself off at that time as an aid to get
me to bed. My word processing facility and my access to a
library of billions of pages is gone for the next eight
hours. I tidy-up the papers, books and files in my study
arranging them for the next morning of literary work.
I then prepare my third meal of the day, usually leftovers.
It’s a meal which follows the two previous meals I’ve had
that day, the last one at about 6 p.m. and the first of the
day at about noon. I then sit down in front of the
television to take in its late night offerings. The lighted
box helps to increase the alpha waves going to my brain
system, so recent studies inform us. These electromagnetic
waves or oscillations in the frequency range of 8–12 Hz
arise from synchronous and coherent electrical activity of
thalamic pacemaker cells in humans. They are commonly
associated with relaxed meditative states. They provide for
me after midnight a useful soporific sleep-inducing effect.
Sometimes a good movie or doco is about to start or has
started. Last night was such an occasion. This prose-poem
closes with some comments on that movie entitled: House of
Sand and Fog.-Ron Price with thanks to Wikipedia, 15 August,
This drama-film has been out
for eight years—just about all
the movies come to TV if you
wait long enough, eh? If you
go to Wikipedia you will find
a detailed summary of the plot
for both the movie and novel
from which it came, published
the year I retired from full-time
employment, 1999…and took a
sea-change in Tasmania by the
river and only five kms from
the Bass Strait, an extension of
the Great Southern Ocean at the
end of the Eurocentric world!!
We are all doomed, goes the theme
of this writer and this film…by our
tragic inability to understand each
other and our dreams so often…if
not mostly, go awry……...But this
writer1 found a gorgeous bolt of
fabric to enrich his many hours of
daydreaming, and rich scraps from
his childhood; he cut that fabric &
rearranged the pieces, sewed them
back together, again and again…..
looking for a pattern, as he puts it
so well analysing literary process.
Yes, Andre1, that puts it well…..Was it
all those odd jobs you had?……Was it
your father’s masterly capacity to write
short fiction? He died just weeks before
I left the classroom in ’99 and you were
born in ’59, the year I joined a new Faith.2
Things come together in life, eh Andre?
Perhaps it’s all that daydreaming and the
endless circulation of ideas, events & life.
1 American writer Andre Dubus III(1959-) wrote the novel
House of Sand and Fog during my last two years of full-time
teaching, 1997-1999. Dubus was a finalist for the National
Book Award for Fiction in 1999 as I left Western Australia,
the teaching profession and moved to Tasmania taking an
early retirement after nearly 50 years in classrooms, 1949
to 1999, first as a student and then as a teacher.
2 The Baha’i Faith
17 August 2010